Person Sheet

Name John Caspar Stoever Rev.
Birth 13 Jan 1684/1685, Frankenburg, Hesse-Nassau, Germany
Death 13 May 1779, Lebanon Co., PA
Burial Hill Church, north of west of Lebanon, Pa.
Occupation pastor Of the Hebron Church founded by the 1717 Germanna Colony
Religion Lutheran
Father Dietrich Stoever (~1660-)
Mother Magdalena Eberwein (1657-)
1 Gertraudt?
Death bef 1733
Marriage bef Nov 1707
Children: Anna Elizabetha Catherine
Johann Caspar (1707-1779)
2 Maria Magdalena Poole
Marriage bef 1733
Notes for John Caspar Stoever Rev.
Johann Kaspar Stover

John Kasper Stoever, (I) was a Lutheran educator and pastor. He left Germany in the spring of 1728 to go to the Land of Penn (Pennsylvania, USA). John Kaspar Stover, (I), his son John Caspar Stover, (II) and his daughter Elisabetha Carherina Stover left England the 15th of June 1728, aboard the ship JAMES GOODWILL and arrived on the 11th of September 1728. Apparently, his wife had died before they left Germany, because there are no records of her on the ship and John Kaspar Stoever, (I) remarried shortly after arriving in this country. The Stover's changed the family name to Stoever. He became an ordained Lutheran minister on April 8,1733, in Trapp, PA. He was ministering to the needs of the German Lutheran Congregation in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. He went to Germany in 1735 to raise money for the church and died on the return voyage in 1738. [In the original publication of his baptisms and marriages published in 1896, it says "Rev. Johann Casper Stoever died at his residence, west of Lebanon, Pa, May 13th, 1779, and was buried at Hill Church, north of west of Lebanon, Pa.]

There are extensive notes from Holtzclaw on the colony up at:

Rev. John Caspar Stoever served as minister from 1731 to 1779. His personal records have also been published on the Web at, including "Early Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages in SE Pa., The Records of Rev. John Casper Stoever from 1730 to 1779," with an index by Elizabeth P. Bentley. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD 1982, and available at:

Hinke, Wiliam John, 1871-1947. ÒThe 1714 colony of Germanna,
VirginiaÓ Virginia magazine of history and biography. Vol. 40-41 (1932-33) (OCoLC)1642879 Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, (1932 1933) v. 40, p. 317-327; v. 41, p. 41-49 ; 24 cm.

Blankenship, Rosemary C. ÒGermanna colonies materialsÓ [Locust Grove, VA : Germanna Community College,] 1989 Book FORMAT: [37] l. ; 30 cm.

German Pioneers to Pennsylvania
Passenger Ships' Lists
Includes People from the Palatine


[List 8 A] List of the Mens Names above 16 years old aboard ye James Goodwill, Master David Crokatt, Commander, from Rotterdam to Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, arrived the 11th September 1728: (including) Johan Caspr. Steffer, Sr. and Johan Casper Steffer, Jr.

"At a Council held in the Courthouse of Philadelphia, September 11th, 1728..... A List was presented of the Names of Forty two Palatines, who with their Families, making in all about Ninety persons, were imported here in the Ship James Goodwill, David Crockat, Master from Rotterdam, but last from Deal, as by Clearance from the officers of the Customs there, bearing Date the Fifteenth day of June, 1728." From the Minutes of the Provincial Council, printed Colonial Records, Vol. III, p. 331. [List 8 B] Palatines imported in the Ship James Goodwill, David Crockatt, Master, from Rotterdam, but last from [Deal] as by clearance dated...... Subscribed the forgoing declaration 11th September 1728: Johann Caspar StÜver, Miss. and Johann Caspar StÜver

BEYOND GERMANNA: A Newsletter of Genealogy and History

"Germanna" refers to the location in Virginia where Lt. Gov. Spotswood settled families of Germans in a five-sided palisaded fort in 1714. Today Germanna would be found in Orange Co. in a horseshoe bend of the Rapidan River where State Route 3 crosses the Rapidan River. A modern feature is Germanna Community College.

The Colony of 1714, also known as the First Colony, moved on to Germantown in present day Fauquier County. In 1717 twenty-odd families of Germans were settled about two miles west of Germanna. Most of this Colony of 1717, also known as the Second Colony, moved to the Robinson River area of present day Madison County. Their life centered around Hebron Lutheran Church. Many more Germans, perhaps 100 families, continued to come to the west and north of Germanna until the time of the Revolution.

Today the term "Germanna Colonist" is applied to all Germans who lived east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the modern counties of Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison and Rappahannock which were formed from the counties of Spotsylvania, Orange, Stafford, and Prince William. The Carolinas and Kentucky received the first wave of Germanna descendants. Beyond Germanna is a newsletter/journal, privately published and now in its ninth year, which is concerned with the Germanna colonists including their origins in Germany, journey to the New World, settlements, history, genealogies, associated families and dispersion to other areas. Beyond Germanna is published six times a year with ten pages per issue. One year's volume costs twelve dollars and may be ordered from the publisher, with a check payable to him.

John Blankenbaker
P.O. Box 120
Chadds Ford, PA 19317

Back volumes are also available at the same price. For more information contact him at

The March 1996 issue had these articles: "How Many John Rectors?", "A Correction to the Rector History", "Dedication of German Town Historical Marker","History of the First Settlers at Germanna, Virginia (Part III)", "The State of Virginia in 1721", "The Jemima Martin Bible" and "How Land Was Granted in Colonial Virginia (Part I)".

The May 1996 issue included articles entitled: "Dedication of the German Town Marker," "History of the First Settlers at Germanna, Virginia (Part IV)", "The Children of Samuel and Susannah Martin of Woodford County, Kentucky", "Revolutionary War Claims", "Life in a Palatine Town in the Sixteen Hundreds" and "How Land Was Granted in Colonial Virginia (Part II)". The July 1996 issue included these articles: "Corrections to the Yager History", "How Land Was Granted in Colonial Virginia (Part III)", "Early Patents in Madison County, Virginia (with a new map)", "Tobias Wilhite, Grandson of Johann Michael Willheit", "Photo of Gemmingen Church", "The Children of Samuel and Susannah Martin (Part II)", "Culpeper Classes (#37, 70, 73 and 74)", "First Three Generations of Henry Huffman Family (in chart format)" and "James Holtzclaw".

The September 1996 issue included these articles: "The Consequence of the Plantation Trade" (with commentary), "Immigrant's Chest" (including a photo), "The John Henry County Map of Virginia of 1770" (including a map), "Ann Margaret Bunger", "Selections from Wills and Commentary", "Early Patents in Madison Co., Virginia" (map of patents included). The November 1996 issue, the last of Volume 8, had these articles "The Family of Lewis Fisher and Anna Barbara Blankenbaker", "Dear Cousin Lucy", "Early Patents in Madison Co., VA, III" (with a map), "Where Was Germanna Located?", and "The Surname Index, Volume 8". The January 1997 issue, the first of Volume 9, has these articles "Church Order" (the 1776 constitution of the Hebron Lutheran Church with the names of the male members), "Elizabeth Yager Carpenter" (correcting her parentage), "The Sons of Harmon Rector" (corrections to the Rector history), "Zachariah Blankenbeckler", "Selections from the Records of Hebron Church". The March 1997 issue has articles: "Journey to Pennsylvania" (the story of Gottlieb Mittelberger's voyage in 1750), "A Trilogy of Family Stories" (Walk, Trumbo and Leyrle), "Early Patents in Madison County, Virginia, Part IV", "Culpeper Classes" (Numbers 92 through 95), "Rabbit Holes". The May issue for 1997 has articles, "The German Estate of Lewis Fisher of Culpeper County, Virginia", "Uriah and Maximillian Rector", "The Father of Uriah Rector", "James Aylor of Boone County, Kentucky", "Diary and Account Book of Johannes Wilhelm Hoffman", "Agreement Between the Rev. John Caspar Stoever and His Wife", "Attempt to Rewrite the History of the Germanna Foundation".The July 1997 issue has articles, "The Jacob Crigler Family", "The Baptisms of the Children of Christopher Crigler", "Thoughts on the Finks Family", "John Frederick Miller", "A Petition of the Earl of Orkney", "A Petition of Alex. Spotswood to the King". Contributors include Cynthia Crigler, Clovis Miller, and John Blankenbaker. Other items are from the records at the Virginia Library and the Public Record Office in London. Also a photograph of the village of Freudenberg is included. The September issue for '97 includes these articles, "Captain Scott or Captain Tarbett?" which includes documentation from Her Majestys Customs Excise Library and from the Public Record Office in London, "George Teter of the Robinson River Settlement in Virginia" by Franklin H. Cochran, "John Gerhard", a note based on findings by Nancy Dodge, "Early Patents in Madison County, Virginia" a continuation of the the land plots by John Blankenbaker, and a notice of the Virginia Chapter of Palatines to America Fall Conference at the Hebron Lutheran Church in Madison, Virginia. The article on the ship captains, by John Blankenbaker, offers an alternative to the view that Captain Scott brought the Colony of 1717 to Virginia.

The November 1997 issue has articles, "George Moyer, 1717 Colonist" by Nancy Dodge, "Isham Tatum" by Joan Hackett, "Journey to Pennsylvania" by Gottlieb Mittelberger, "Early Documentation of the Gaar/Garr Family" by John Blankenbaker based on the Gaar/Garr Genealogy, "Introduction to Virginia Land History" compiled from articles by Stephen Broyles, Culpeper Classes, 88, 89, 90, 91", and Surname Index, Volume 9.

The first issue of the tenth volume (1998) has a lead article by Klaus Wust, "The Year of the Destroying Angels - 1738", Jimmy Veal has updated and corrected information on his Holt family, "Hold/Holt Origins in Germany", Cynthia Crigler determines that Margaret Aylor is an unknown in "Who Was Margaret Aylor", John Blankenbaker adds a chart on the two following generations of descendants of Susanna Clore Weaver Crigler Yager, John also has a note on "The Early Patents in the Little Fork of the Rappahannock River", and Warren Holt Talley recounts "An Unusual Experience" in Germany.

Friends of Germanna. On special occasions, Mr. Blankenbaker has given talks at reunions/meetings in North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia and Oregon. He last gave three talks on September 20, 1997 at the Hebron Lutheran Church in Madison, Virginia, under the auspices of the Virginia Chapter of the Palatines to America. The talks were "The Piedmont Germans", "The Second Germanna Colony and Others", and "The Evangelical Lutheran (Hebron) Church". Beyond Germanna has been noted by subscribers as "professional and informative", "great publication", "best newsletter I've seen", "incredible", "very informative" and "outstanding work".

John Blankenbaker
Beyond Germanna
P.O. Box 120
Chadds Ford, PA 19317

This article was published in the Souvenir Program for Lebanon's Bicentennial, celebrated June 30 - July 5, 1940.

Historical Annals of Lebanon County

"This history of Lebanon has been prepared with the hope that it will offer some enlightenment to present and future generations concerning the hardships and splendid accomplishments of our forefathers, whose work has made it possible for us to have the bountiful advantages which we enjoy today; and with the trust that this record of their success will serve to stimulate us to greater achievements."

"Scotch-Irish settlers were probably here before 1720, but the principal settlers of Lebanon and environs came here in 1723 from the Schoharie Valley in N. Y. State. Following these early settlers came successive waves of Swiss and French Huguenots, along with many Germans of the Mennonite, Dunker, Reformed and Lutheran Faiths. Before that time, the Indians dwelt in the beautiful Valley, which abounded in deer and other game. However, the Indians actually held title to all the land within the limits of Lebanon County until 1732. On September 7 of that year the chiefs and sachems of the Delawares made a treaty with the whites ( through Governor Patrick Gordon ) by which they disposed of all land in Pennsylvania lying between the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers and south of the Blue Mountains, not previously purchased. This plot included what is now known as Lebanon County. The Indians gave up the land of their own free will, and for it received brass kettles, blankets, guns, shirts, flints, tobacco, rum. and many trinkets in which their simple hearts delighted."

"In 1723, fifteen families of Germans came to the present Lebanon County and Berks region. About 1725 Balzer Orth and his boys, Balthazer (aged 11) and Adam (aged 7), were among those residing here. In August, 1729, Michael Burst arrived and squatted two miles northwest of the present city of Lebanon. When George Steitz arrived he located southeast of Burst on the Quittapahilla. From 1725 to 1735 there was another great influx of Germans of varied religious opinions. Because of their industry and thrift. combined with the goodness of the soil. Pennsylvania forged ahead in agriculture, with exportation of farm products to keep pace with the increasing population."

"Gala indeed was the year 1731 in the history of the wilderness colony, for that marked the performance of the first marriage ceremony. The contracting parties were George Reynolds and Eleanor Steitz, daughter of George. The rite was performed by the Rev. John Caspar Stoever, the first Lutheran Minister to come to Lebanon."

"It is to George Steitz that credit is given for the laying out of the present city of Lebanon during the decade 1740-1750. It is recorded that Steitz and Francis Reynolds took out warrants for adjoining tracts of land in what was then Lebanon Township -- a part of Lancaster County. After the death of George Reynolds in 1762, his land fell into the possession of George Steitz, and with these he ( Steitz ) laid out additional lots. The town originally had been made for the township but for many years it was called Steitztown or Steitza, after the fashion of calling a town for the proprietor."

"The town grew. About 1756 there were over 200 homes, and during the perilous years of 1750 to '60 Lebanon was a refuge for those families driven from their frontier homes by the savages. As many as 60 families took refuge in the house of John Light at one time. On March 28, 1799, Lebanon became a borough, but the first election was not held until the first Monday in May, 1821. At this election, held by Leonard Greenawalt and Philip Huber, commissioners, the following officers were elected: Chief Burgess, Jacob Goodhart; assistant burgess. Jacob Arndt; councilmen, John Nagel, Conrad Fasnacht, Jacob Light, Adam Ritscher, Leonard Greenawalt, John Uhler; high constable, Rudolph Kelker. The election was held 22 years later for the reason that the people never accepted the provisions of the Act of 1799, and so it remained dead, until February 20, 1821, when a new Act was passed repealing the first act and creating anew the borough of Lebanon with a charter of more ample powers than the previous Act."

"That year (1821) Lebanon contained 300 dwellings, 10 taverns, 10 stores, 1 grist mill, 1 clover mill, a foundry, and many mechanic shops. The original Market House stood on the south side of Ninth street."

"During the prosperous years of 1751 to 52 a much-needed improvement, a road to Lancaster. was begun. The road is now Ninth street. Conrad Weiser was busy arranging affairs with the friendly Indians and with the settlers on the basis of an alliance against the French and the hostile tribes threatening Pennsylvania. But in 1755, the entire region was startled by the news of Braddock's defeat at Fort Duquesne. On a black day, October 16th, 1755, the sad news came that more than 20 persons had been killed by Indians in this territory."

"On June 26, 1756, while four young men of the Bethel Congregation were plowing near Swatara Gap, they were attacked by a band of hostile Indians and cruelly murdered. Scouting parties were organized and in the autumn of 1756 an actual skirmish with Indians was fought two miles northeast of Hebron Church. According to the historians of the times, about 150 white people were the victims of these raids. Following the French and Indian War, came the Revolutionary War, at the end of which America declared her independence, and in which theatre of war Lebanonians played a vital role. "After the Boston Tea Party, December 16, 1773, little Lebanon, despite some hanging back on the part of other residents of Pennsylvania, was one of the first to respond to the appeal of the city of Boston and to send contributions to those who were suffering for the cause of liberty. On Saturday, June 25, 1774, the inhabitants of Lebanon and adjoining townships met at the inn of Captain Philip Greenawalt to consider the state of public affairs. Elected as leaders were Major John Philip DeHaas, President; and John Light, Secretary. At this meeting the group declared unanimously: "1. That the late act of the British Parliament by which the port of Boston is shut up is an act of oppression to the people of that city and subversive of the rights of the inhabitants of America." "2. That while we profess to be loyal subjects of Great Britain we shall not admit to unjust and iniquitous laws as we are not slaves but freemen." "3. That we unite with the inhabitants of other portions of our country in such measure as will preserve us our rights and our liberties."

"A committee was appointed to collect contributions for the Bostonians. Philip Greenawalt, Thomas Clark, Michael Ley, Kellian Long, and Curtis Grubb, committeemen, sent flour and other supplies to Philadelphia where it was forwarded with other contributions to Boston. By May 10, 1775, all males between the ages of 15 and 50 had their names enrolled for military purposes. Two companies had been organized under the leadership of DeHaas. By the fall of '75, Greenawalt formed a battalion with Philip Marsteller as Lt. Col.; Caspar Stoever, Capt. of 1st Co.; Philip Weiser, Capt. of 3rd Co.; Leonard Immel, Capt. of 6th Co.; John Gossert, 2nd Lt. of 7th Co.; John Rewalt, of 9th Co.; and George Frank, Ensign of 8th Co. In the spring of '76, Peter Grubb, Jr., organized a company and went with Col. Miles' battalion, participating in the disastrous battle of Long Island, where the Pennsylvania Germans forever covered themselves with star-spangled glory." "In December of 1776, 1,000 Hessian prisoners with many Tories passed through Lebanon on their way to Reading. By the end of August, 340 Hessian prisoners arrived in Lebanon in charge of Col. Grubb and most of them were kept in the Moravian Church at Hebron, much to the disgust of the pastor. Arrangements had been made to move them to a log church in Lebanon, but since that log church (Old Salem) was to be used for a powder-magazine, at the Moravian church they remained."

"Lebanon's role in the Revolution was an important one, since it was a depot of supplies, and a storehouse for ammunition during the occupancy of Philadelphia by the British. It was during the Revolution that the furnaces at Cornwall supplied large quantities of iron for cannon and balls. The inhabitants not only volunteered in service but also contributed flour and meat, clothing and leather, and hauled it to Valley Forge during the terrible winter of '77 and '78. Families participating in this were the Earlys, Henrys, Kreiders, Millers, Meilys, Immels, Orths, Schaeffers, and others."
Our earliest known ancestor was Dietrich STůVER and wife Magdalena EBERWEIN of Frankenberg, Germany. Their son, John Kasper STůVER, (I), left Germany with his son, Johann Casper STůVER, (II), and daughter, Anna Elisabetha Catherina STůVER in the spring of 1728. They arrived in Philadelphia on September 11, 1728 aboard the ship James Goodwill.

The spelling of the family name changed to STOEVER shortly after arriving in America. Both father and son were well known Lutheran Ministers in the Pennsylvania and Virginia areas. The younger STOEVER was the first German Lutheran Minister ordained in the US.

"Despite the war, however, the town continued to grow. It was just before the War that the first fire company was organized, July 17, '73. George Hoke was elected the first president, and at the close of the War (February 22, 1780) the Union Fire Company organized with Judge Philip Gloninger as president. The first fire company was known as the Cedar Fire Company and was formed with 48 persons subscribing."

"Through storm and strife the people marched. Today on the brink of another World War, it shall be remembered that Lebanon served well in the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and the World War I."
Last Modified 8 Dec 1999 Created 11 Apr 2000 by EasyTree for Windows95

Contents * Index * Surnames * Contact